Re: Spitfire Top Mou

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Top Mou
From: rvince00@counsel.com (Ross Vincente -- TransAmer. Financial - Los Angeles )
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 96 14:50:08 EST

 To:    Triumphs List,          Inet

>From Andy Mace re my query on Spitfire top mounting . . .
Ross, forgive me if I'm totally misunderstanding your post, but
the  pre-Mk.3 Spitfires had a folding top in the truest sense.
You unfastened  it, folded it up and stowed it away. The top
"frame" did not bolt to the  body; rather it set in those
receptacles on either side of the inside,  behind the seats.
The top fastened to the windshield by means of reinforced flaps
that  tucked in under the leading edge of the bright header
capping, hooks at  the top front area of the windshield pillar
(either side) and on the  rear tonneau with a few snaps and a
metal reinforcing bar that hooked  over two chromed "catches" on
the tonneau panel itself.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I can always count on you (and others) to clarify things --
thanks!.   Well, interestingly someone else pointed out that
perhaps the top that was supplied with the car is NOT a Mk I frame
set and in fact goes to a Mk III or later model.  I have to admit
this would appear to be the case.  As an aside, regarding the
mounting to the windscreen frame, there are two holes in the top
of the frame (is that what you meant by "hooks"?) where it appears
one would insert the prongs or clamps on the top frame itself.
There are no "hooks" on the windshield pillars on my car.   But,
yes, there is the bright metal cap piece which is riveted to the
windscreen frame and under which the leading edge would slide in.
The rear is as you described.

So now on to a new topic . . .   WANTED -- one early Mk I or Mk II
Spitfire top frame (with or without convertible top).  Offering in
trade, not one but TWO Mk II and later top frames (one has been
cut to fit over a roll bar).

If all else fails and I cannot find an early Spit. top I suppose I
could weld a couple of prongs to the rear mounting flanges of the
top I have and try to make it work.  Oh God, would that be ugly or
what?  Probably as watertight as a collander, too.  Well, thanks
y'all

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4 (undergoing surgery - with a Mk III top)