Re: Spitfire battery

To: HW1.GFISHER%HW1.CAHWNET.GOV_at_internet_gateway@ccmgate1.sc.intel.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire battery
From: Mike A Gendimenico <Mike_A_Gendimenico@ccm.sc.intel.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 96 15:25:00 PST
Text item:

My Sears DieHard battery is presently held in with a bungee cord because
its body is too "tall" to allow me to use the stock hold-downs.

Aside from purchasing a genuine Lucas replica ($$$!), what size and make
battery--if any--will fit like stock?

...or should I just purchase some generic brackets at Pep Boys or fabricate
some of my own?

Text item: External Message Header

I use a low profile battery that is made for a mid-late 70s BMW 3 and 5
series in my GT6, which should be the same arrangemnt as a Spit.  It fits
perfectly and although I should have a hold down bracket, it's never
moved in the ten years I've had the car.  It also prevents the dreaded
short between the battery/choke cable/bonnet that happened once with a
standard battery.  Ask for a battery for a '77 or '78 BMW 320i.  Mine is
a Motorcraft, but Exide, Sears and others make them.  They cost a tad
more since the cells are denser than a standard battery.

Mike