Re: Carb Name

To: 74741.2020@compuserve.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Carb Name
From: TR6Massey@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 19:17:41 -0500
Fellow Zenith owners:

There is some confusion as to what the names and numbers on the carbs mean.
 Well here is my version and I'm sticking to it.

Stromberg is a company which makes a carburator with the trade name of
Zenith.  Zenith is one of those "purr" words intended to invoke confidence
and satisfaction in the product.  Look up "zenith" in the dictionary and
you'll see why an american radio manufacturer picked it for their name.

The model of the carb is CD175 (or CD150 depending on the car you own).  The
CD stands for "Constant Depression" indicating the fact that the variable
venturi comprised of the carb throat and the piston maintains a constant
depression or slight vacuum at the fuel jets.  As the air volume increases
the piston rises and opens the venturi and the fuel metering jets to maintain
the desired mixture.  The numeric designator indicates the nominal throat
diameter diameter in .01 inches (175 = 1.75 inches, 150 = 1.5 inches).

Well enough soap box.  Later.

Dave (I have 5 or 6 Strombergs around here somewhere)