Re: Carb Name

To: Neil Beasley <74741.2020@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Carb Name
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 13:30:07 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On 11 Mar 1996, Neil Beasley wrote:

> What is the difference between a "Zenith" and "Stromberg" carb or is it  the
> same?

They're all really one and the same. Without my books in front of me, I
forget which was the actual company name, but the same company owned
rights to various names and carbs (also including Solex, IMS).

Keep in mind, though, that these carburetors were actually inventions of
Triumph in the early 1960s, to avoid the markup price charged to Triumph on
SUs (said company owned at the time by "arch-rival" BMC), supposedly
much higher than the prices charged for similar carbs used on MGs, etc.

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *