TR3s & TR4s

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (triumph cars list)
Subject: TR3s & TR4s
From: asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Adrian Jefferies)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 15:31:41 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: BThorsen@aol.com
hi

By Thorsen (BThorsen@aol.com) noted that there hasnt been too much
discussion of "early" TRs on this list (of late) and wondered:

Tony Robinson (aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu) replied:
>I think that reliability plays a big factor with the popularity of 3s
>and 4s. They are somewhat more temperamental than TR6s and later issues.

to which I must gently dissent: There are probably a a whole bunch of criticisms
that can be laid at the door of the TR2 to (say) TR4a series (eg: depending
on what model: rock hard ride(*), noise(*), rotten de-misting, awful wipers,
etc) but reliability isnt one of them. The engine & drivetrain are bullet
proof, as is the chassis and the rest of the running gear. The ancillaries
are the bits we have come to love/hate: Lucas electrical parts, SU carbs.
These latter parts have always worked for me (so far).

So, I suggest that that these TRs are fixed to the point of eternal functioning!

My TR4 sleeps in its garage for a good portion of the winter, but I try
and drive it every week or so. Despite this abuse & the battery struggling
to start a very cold & damp engine, its still fires up. Amazing!

Regards, Adrian + TR4
        asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk

(*): a plus factor for TR enthusiasts.