Re: Driving Seats

To: "Chris Boston" <cboston@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Driving Seats
From: "Doug Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 13:40:32 -0500 "Driving Seats" (Mar 11, 10:35am)
> Subject: Driving Seats
> I broke my driving seat on Saturday, Don't ask how (thats a long story), but
> the frame has actually snapped in half.
>
> I have transplanted the passenger seat for the moment, but it doesn't really
> fit, and the driving position is awful, I feel as if I'm leaning out of the
> window.
>
> I have three choices:
>
>   1. Weld up the seat - cheap(ish).

Depending on where it is broken, this may be the best solution. My seat
broke some 20 years ago. I made a temporary repair with a piece of steel,
and then went the route of number three. I bought a pair of Corbeau seats.
(at least I think it was Corbeau, I only remember that the manufacturer
was in a Mildenhall, Suffolk Industrial Estate. The biggest problem with
this method is that the tonneau never fit again and the seat was raised
just enough for my head to displace the top. (I no longer have these
seats, as they disappeared from the shipping containers when I returned
Stateside).

>   2. Replace with a second hand seat - reasonable cost.

This may be a good alternative if you can find them. I was unable to
locate a used seat when mine broke. And even in 1976, the frames were
not being sold with out the padding and vinyl. This increased the price
by three-fold.

>   3. Buy a pair of comfortable seats - expensive.

Not really practical due to cost and to the reasons listed above.

> I guess I have two questions,
>
>   1. Does anyone have a spare R.H. seat they can sell me cheaply.
>
>   2. Does anybody have experience with third party (comfy) seats that they
are
>        prepaired to recommend, or warn me against.

See answer to number 1 in the first part.

> Boy, the car looks big with only one seat.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris.
>        1977 Spitfire 1500 O/D. (Everyday/Only Driver)
>-- End of excerpt from Chris Boston

I welded my frame back together in 1978, I think that that is the
strongest part.

Doug Mitchell - '73 Spitfire 1500