RE: Convex vs. Plain Mirrors

To: cboston@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk
Subject: RE: Convex vs. Plain Mirrors
From: dan parslow <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 9:25:20 -0700 (MST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM
Chris,

I would recommend flat for door mirrors, and convex for wing mirrors.

Here in the US we have this stupid law that requires A) convex passenger-
side door mirrors to increase field of view, and B) engraving on the
lower half of that mirror which says in huge block capitals "OBJECTS IN
MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR", thus negating the advantage by
rendering half the mirror unusable.*

That's what I like about driving in the UK vs. the US.  The cars have
so little of this nonsense.

- Dan
* If you've seen "Ace Ventura", this is the source of the joke where
he sees a maniac in his rearview and says "Warning: Assholes are
closer than they appear!"  Oh, no, E-mail violation.^^^^^^^^  Bust
me, Bob Dole.