Re: Herald 1200 - twin carb set

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Herald 1200 - twin carb set
From: D.Hickman@kippax.tres.tas.gov.au (Dale Hickman)
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 09:40:18 +1000
I have a 12/50 coupe (everyday car) and a 12/50 saloon (awaiting full
restoration). Both of these are the Australian assembled versions which
were fitted with the Vitesse 1600 bonnets and disc brakes as standard. The
coupe came with the twin carb set up as standard  while the saloon has the
single Solex. I have been told that all Australian sold coupes (presumably
1200s as well) were fitted with the twin SUs. It is interesting to note
that it appears the 12/50s were not specifically marketed as a Herald in
Australia as they do not have any Herald badges but simply the 12/50 badge
on the boot and a Triumph badge on the dash in place of the Herald badge.
The coupe was manufactured in March 1965 from an exported CKD kit in
November 1964 (after the production of coupes ceased). It is also fitted
with the early type smooth roof.

Dale Hickman
Aussie 12/50s