Re: Herald 1200 - twin carb set

To: Keith Bennett <Keith.Bennett@bbc.co.uk>, Phil Willson <P.J.Willson@qmw.ac.uk>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Herald 1200 - twin carb set
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 16:26:32 -0800 (PST)
On Mon, 4 Mar 1996, Andrew Mace wrote:

[snip]
> If your friend (or anyone else is interested), I can photocopy pages
> from a factory Herald handbook I have. This book details the kit and the
> procedure for installation. BTW, some sources state that this conversion
> was never actually offered, even though it was cataloged. Too bad, really.
[snip]

I looked last night at this book, called something like "Triumph Herald
Owner's Repair Manual" (I should have written that down, too).

Part number for the kit is 511037. Since this book may have come out
right about the same time as did the 1200 itself, i.e., before the
Spitfire was introduced (and, therefore, the GD series Herald engines as
used in the 12/50 and in later 1200s), the various descriptions deal with
the earlier GA series engine, specifically ones with the 8.0:1
compression ratio.  Aside from all the bolt-on stuff (including locating
rings for the intake manifold), the kit apparently included new double
springs and collar/split cone retainers for the valves, the camshaft, and
new (stronger?) main bearings.

It is noted that one machines approximately .030" from the surface of
the existing Herald head, to give a combustion chamber depth of .460".
It also goes on to explain how to and in what order to do everything
needed, including tuning/balancing the carbs.

It does not break down the kit in terms of individual part numbers. So,
Keith, lacking as I still am the Herald 1200 parts manual, I'd be
interested to know if said book gives individual part numbers. I have an
early Spitfire parts manual, but my only Herald book is for early 948s.

Do either of you have any more definitive information as to whether the
option actually was offered at any time? Seems to me Robson and others
claim it wasn't, even though it was cataloged.

Still learning more and more about Heralds, I remain,

Andrew Mace
10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant
Vintage Triumph Register
amace@unix2.nysed.gov