RE: VTR's insurance program

To: JWAGNER@jmail.umd.edu
Subject: RE: VTR's insurance program
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 96 21:26:05 MST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>Bill Sohl wrote, regarding joining VTR:
>
>>Most recently, VTR has worked out an agreement with a
>>major classic auto insurance carrier to now
>>provide low cost collector car auto liability for any year
>>Triumph at costs far below regular insurance rates.
>
>Bill (or anyone),
>do you know what restrictions these policies have on use, storage or
>degree of restoration?  I'd love to find cheap insurance for my '72
>TR6, but it's not restored and currently lives outside under a cover.
>This seems to disqualify me for most low cost classic car insurance.
>If I could reduce my premiums significantly (currently about $400/yr)
>maybe my S.O. wouldn't be so eager to sell it.
>
>Jeff Wagner
>College Park, MD

Jeff,
 I once inquired about the "Classic/Collector" coverage through VTR.
 You are limited to 2500 miles per year, only covered while driving
during club functions etc. Trips to VTR rallies are generally exempt from
mileage allowance. Car ideally should be garaged but otherwise "very secure".
 My daily driver, even though a collectible and show car, would not
qualify under those guidelines.
 This is all as I understand. It would be very nice if the coverage were
expanded and offered to daily drivers at a rate comparable to the ( I
think) $126.00 a year of the limited policy
 It would seem to me that if I were an underwriter, I would have to
consider the fact that people who drive these cars are going to use them
on a limited basis and even if the use was not so limited, the exposure
would be minimal because most of us tend to park out in the south forty
in public parking lots, and are generally pretty adept at avoiding accidents.
 As I said, my inquiry was some time back. If I am mistaken or if the
situation has changed, someone please be kind enough to let us all know.
Regards,
Tony R.
"GT6s"