Spitfire Engine/Final drive matches

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net"@tin
Subject: Spitfire Engine/Final drive matches
From: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 11:50:27 -0600
I probably have this in a book somewhere, but one of you folks might know
this off the top of your head.

I have a 1968 Spit Mk3, one of the early ones, but the engine and gearbox in
it came from a 1971 Mk4 Spit. It seems to run real hard at highway speeds,
and the speedo reads pretty optimistically (reads 60 at 50).

Could it be that the 68 car has a 4.11:1 diff, and would a Mk4 gearbox be
geared differently, like for a 3.89:1 diff? I know that this gearbox is
all synchro, while the mk3 is supposed to have a crash-first box, at least
I think so. If this is the case, I'm going to try to locate either a Mk3
'box or a Mk4 diff.

BTW, the drive train is out of the Spit and it's off to the body shop for
some fresh paint. I hope to have it all rebuilt and pretty for VTR in
Albany. I decided we're going to make the 1004-mile drive in the Spit.

Maybe we could meet up with some folks on the way to caravan? Not that I
don't trust the Spit to make it...

Larry