[owner-triumphs: BOUNCE triumphs: Non-member submission from [Max Blyton

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [owner-triumphs: BOUNCE triumphs: Non-member submission from [Max Blyton <BLYTON_MB@a1cbr.airservices.gov.au>]]
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@spitfire.cs.utah.edu>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 1996 03:34:52 -0500
   Date: Fri, 01 Mar 1996 10:29:00 +1000
   From: Max Blyton <BLYTON_MB@a1cbr.airservices.gov.au>
   Subject: INTERNET GARBAGE, NOISE AND TRIVIA

   Fellow Triumph enthusiasts,

   In the few months that I and other (Australian) members of the Canberra
   Triumph Car Club have subscribed to this newsgroup, we have been very
   disappointed with the amount of useless garbage (no kinder term will
   suffice), which is constantly clogging the bandwidth.  Many of our
   members have now unsubscribed.

   Before someone jumps in and accuses me of being "off topic", let me say
   that network administration topics should be perfectly valid.  There is a
   quantum difference between trying to improve the service, and informing
   the world that you suffered a flat tyre on the way to work!

   In the past, we have often seen requests for telephone numbers for large,
   current business houses.  Geez, don't you guys have a telephone directory
   service?  Many of the replies, also, should be directed to the
   originator, not broadcast to all and flooding the network.

   I STRONGLY URGE SUBSCRIBERS TO HEED THE PREVIOUS REQUESTS TO MAINTAIN
   RELEVANCE TO THE NEWSGROUP.

   [ This is a mailing list, NOT a newsgroup.   mjb.]

   I believe that Phill Willson and Dan Parslow are spot on.  Perhaps, if
   their advice was heeded, there would now be less urgency for a computer
   node upgrade.

   Having said that, I really appreciate the odd useful pearl of information
   which I manage to sift out!

   Regards to all,

   Max Blyton
   1968 TR5 PI