TR-3A prices & parts sources

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-3A prices & parts sources
From: KVacek@aol.com
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 1996 02:27:57 -0500
I've been away from Triumphs for years, but have decided to get another TR...
I have a line on a solid '59 3, basically runnable, little rust anywhere and
no discernable damage history; it's just been parked for 20 years.  I haven't
seen it yet, but a friend of mine (another long-time LBC and antique car guy)
has known the car (and owner) for years, and in fact the original plan was
for me to get it running for the owner, until he had a heart attack and
decided to sell everything and move.  I'm not afraid of whatever mechanical
or body work it needs, but I'm at least 10 years behind on values.  The owner
gave me a range of $1,500-$2,000 which sounds to me like a deal... What
should I expect to pay for a solid car which is probably in need of full
restoration?

Also, as I sold my last TR, about 10-12 years ago, I'm curious as to the
current situation on parts.  When I last had a Triumph, The Roadster Factory
was only a year or two old, but had a really comprehensive stock of spares,
good prices 7 service, etc.  I did occasionally get something from the
well-known dealer in Goleta, California, but I'd been burned by them so many
times on MGTC parts that I was reluctant to buy much from them...  Anyway,
who are the "good" sources today?