[no subject]

From: TRHeaven@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 07:49:55 -0500
Apparently-to: cboston@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk
Apparently-to: triumphs@autox.team.net
e dated 96-03-01 06:17:22 EST, cboston@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk (Chris
Boston) writes:

>On Feb 28, 12:48pm, Jonathan Miles wrote:
>> Subject: spit. 1500 door handles
>> Has anyone out there got any advice on replacing the outer door
>> handles on spit. Mk IV's and 1500's.  The one I'm trying to replace
>> at the moment seems to be incredibly tempremental.  Sometimes you can
>> lock it and it stays locked, other times it unlocks itself of its own
>> accord. What is going on? Are they very sensitive to adjustment of
>> the split pin which links the inner lock to the outer lock and if so,
>> does anyone know how to adjust it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jonathan
>
>This may be a common problem, my door locks haven't worked for ages.
>
>I can open the door from the outside, but not from the inside - If you see a
>guy with his arm out the window, opening his car door from the outside,
>that's
>me!
>
>As to actually locking the doors, I wouldn't dream of it - I have a soft
top,
>and I can't afford to replace it at the moment.  I simply make sure that
>there
>is nothing left in the cockpit that somebody would want to steal (radios,
>etc.), put a stearing lock on as a visual deterent against stealing the car,
>and turn on my alarm/imobiliser.
>
>If somebody still fancies sitting behind the wheel, I'd much rather they
came
>through the doors than the roof!
>
>Chris.
>       1977 Spitfire 1500 O/D. (Everyday/Only Driver)

Boy,  these Spit door handles really are wierd.  Mine doesn't do anything
like that.
Mine stay locked!  The only way to open the door from the outside is if I
have the key to unlock the door, but from the inside it opens easily.  One
day I left my keys in the car, top & windows up, shut both doors (why do you
always get that wierd feeling just as you shut the door and can't stop?).  I
had to unsnap one side of the top, and crawl halfway in to retrieve my keys.
 BTW,  I only have one key to the Spit, so I couldn't get the spare key.
 (Rich, you'll probably have a field day with this!)

Ron Nottingham
78 TR7