re:Spit door handles

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re:Spit door handles
From: ken@yourteam.com (Ken Bertschy)
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 06:24:34 -0700
I had the same problem with my '77 Spit. Half the time I had to use the
exterior handle to open the door. The problem lied with the pins and clips
connecting the bars that traverse the door. There was so much slippage
where the bar met the inside door handle that full motion on the handle
"trigger" didn't move the bar enough to release the latch. Soaking
everything in 409 reduced friction enough to operate the door for about a
month, and then it would revert back to not working. My final solution was
to re bend the clip that holds the bar to the interior door handle so that
it grabbed the bar better. It worked.