RE: Tony's (mostly) excellent Spitfire adventure

To: "Andrew Mace" <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: RE: Tony's (mostly) excellent Spitfire adventure
From: "Anthony Bauman" <abauman@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 95 17:38:56 UT
Cc: "Scions of Stanpart" <triumphs@autox.team.net>

----------
From:   Andrew Mace
Sent:   Wednesday, September 27, 1995 3:02
PM
To:     Anthony Bauman
Cc:     Scions of Stanpart
Subject:        RE: Tony's
(mostly) excellent Spitfire adventure

> There are two loose connectors
near the left side of the block...nothing
> matches them..any idea where
they go?

WAG here, but they could be connectors that would attach to a

three-terminal oil pressure switch, which your car might not have for
any
number of reasons.

Makes sense!  This little lady has an aftermarket
mechanical oil pressure guage!  Mystery #1 SOLVED!

> This '78 has
breaker points..
> when did they first use electonic ignition?

I think
1974, but certainly by 1975 in the U.S. It sounds possible that
your car
has an engine earlier than 1978. What is the engine number? (It
should be
FMxxxxxUE if correct.)

ummm.... Dumb question.. but where exactly IS the
engine number.. I am assuming it is stamped or cast in the block, but in
quick inspection all I have found is more blue paint..!

> I bought a

Haynes book, but so far the color codes on the chart are less than a 100%

match with what I've got...

Not surprising. Having not seen the Haynes
book, I don't know how
comprehensive their schematics are. The Bentley
manual (basically a
reprint of factory stuff) might be a better bet here.

I just received my application to join the VTR.. would this book be
available through the club? I understand they have book discounts etc...

Sorry for the delay in replying, right after I posted last, I was smote down
with a very nasty case of what I assume was stomach flu..  I won't bother
going in to the details, but for a couple days I thought I was going to die
and was worried I wouldn't! <G>

   Thanks again for the information!

     Tony