Re: siezed brake m/c

To: TRIUMPHS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Re: siezed brake m/c
From: dan parslow <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 1995 10:12:49 -0700 (MST)
Cc: DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM
On Fri, 29 Sep 1995 Liquid@massey.ac.nz wrote:

> About a month ago I got a brake master cylinder from the local wreckers,
> withn the intention of fitting it to our Herald.  However during the month
> it has spent kicking about in the shed it has siezed up.  Can anyone
> suggest a way of freeing it up without wrecking it - or having siezed is it
> now already scrap?  My intended approach is to put a bit of brake fluid in
> it, bolt it up to the car, warm it with a heat gun and gently press the
> brake pedal.  Does this sound like a recipe for disaster?

YES!  Always assume the worst with old junkyard stuff when safety is
concerned!  Once you get it unstuck, you should assume that the bore
is damaged.  Even if it isn't, pretend it is.  We're talking about
your life, and more importantly, a ***HERALD***  :)

White Post Restorations (I believe) will drill and sleeve the
bore in brass for you for about fifty bucks.  You can get their
phone number from the monster list, I haven't downloaded it in
ages.   As you're in New Zealand perhaps you should phone up
some hydraulic and/or machine shops locally.

I personally would never, ever drive with a boneyard master cylinder
that had required ungentle persuasion to get it going.  The nice
thing about resleeving is that it extends the life expectancy of the
m/c to practically forever.  Afterward you can just replace the seals
well into the 22nd Century.

I just now went the other route, I ordered a new brake m/c from
John Kipping.  Now I'm trying to figure out why it has a 90-degree
reservoir.  Is there an availability problem with original non-
tandem Herald/Vitesse/Spitfire master cylinders?

- Dan Parslow