Re: siezed brake m/c

To: Liquid@massey.ac.nz
Subject: Re: siezed brake m/c
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 1995 12:13:23 -0900 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Fri, 29 Sep 1995 Liquid@massey.ac.nz wrote:

> About a month ago I got a brake master cylinder from the local wreckers,
> withn the intention of fitting it to our Herald.  However during the month
> it has spent kicking about in the shed it has siezed up.  Can anyone
> suggest a way of freeing it up without wrecking it - or having siezed is it
> now already scrap?  My intended approach is to put a bit of brake fluid in
> it, bolt it up to the car, warm it with a heat gun and gently press the
> brake pedal.  Does this sound like a recipe for disaster?

I'd say your best bet is try to free it up on the bench. Do whatever you
need to do to get it apart (heat might help if all else fails), clean
thoroughly and rebuild. I'd guess that, at the least, heat will damage
whatever seals are in there anyway, and I really think you want to know
why it seized before you put it on the car. I wouldn't trust any used
cylinder without rebuilding it first.

I hope you don't take this advice as an insult, but brakes are too
important to "assume" all is ok. I'd hate to see any more trashed
Heralds or owners.

Andrew Mace
10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant
Vintage Triumph Register