Re: Overdrive problem

To: SCHWANGAU@aol.com
Subject: Re: Overdrive problem
From: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 1995 09:09:02 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Fri, 29 Sep 1995 SCHWANGAU@aol.com wrote:

> OD on our 79 Spit intermittently kicks out, and then back in.  I did a clean
> and rebuild about 15000 miles ago.  It gave no problem prior or since then
> until about 1000 miles ago.

Brian,

You might check the oil level in your transmission.  The OD is pretty
sensitive to oil level - if it is even a little low, the OD can operate
eratically.

The first time I filled my OD box from empty, it would cut in and out like
you describe.  I just about went crazy trying to figure this out, looking
at wiring, checkvalves, you name it.  Everything checked out ok.  As a
last resort, I checked the oil level (which I _knew_ to be ok - I'd just
filled it and there was no evidence of leaks...) and lo and behold, it
took more oil.  And it worked flawlessly after the second fill.  I guess
that the OD doesn't fill efficiently from the main tranny oil reservoir,
and my test drives helped distribute the oil.

In any event - to get back to your problem - if you've lost any oil over
the 15,000 miles, topping it up may fix it.

Hope this helps,
Mike