TR6 steering rack play

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 steering rack play
From: trs@eagle.gsh.jhu.edu (Peter Barrance)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 19:22:36 -0500 (EDT)
Hi everyone,

My TR6 makes a clunk from the front end sometimes when I step on the
brake, and the steering feels generally rather woolly. I thought I
needed new inner tie-rod/track-rod ends until I pulled the boot back
on one of them. It turned out that the play is actually between the
rack 'tube' and the rack itself. That is to say, the rack can be
moved transversely to its housing when I push on a road wheel with
the front end off the ground. That is what is causing the
clunk from the front. The track-rod ends have no slop. Also, I'm not
talking about motion of the whole rack relative to the frame. I've
got the urethane bushings in there and they're well tightened down.

Do you think the above means the rack is worn out? Or is this the
sort of free play that can be adjusted out using shims under the
'plunger'?

Thanks for any and all words of wisdom!

Pete