Re: 5 speed trans & spitfir

To: ean_houts@ccgate.infoworld.com
Subject: Re: 5 speed trans & spitfir
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 95 16:22:27 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

Brian N.
 Past experience has proven, you are out of luck.
A TR8 tranny, fits a TR8. Will not bot up to Spit bell housing. Trans
input shaft also different splines.
 The change can be made, but I do not recommend a TR7 trans, too weak. A
decent
machine shop can machine a TR6 input shaft to fit Spit, as well as redrill
mounting holes for Spit bellhousing. Other considerations are position of
rear tranny mount and drive shaft length. An expensive proposition no
matter how you do it.
 If you are just trying to get better road speed, I suggest differential
gears. If overdrive performance is your goal, you can convert non O/D to O/D
for around $1600.
Good luck
Tony R.

69GT6