TR 3 body question

To: Triumph owners list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR 3 body question
From: rgs03@health.state.ny.us
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 95 08:32:56 EDT
Comments: Converted from PROFS to RFC822 format by PUMP V2.2X
Tobias;

No additional fastening of the body to the frame is required beyond the
normal 12 or so bolts. There is available from TRF a complete body mounting
package that includes all the bushings, pads and rubber insulaters that
keep the body insulated from the frame. Some of these (like the long
rubber strips that go between the frame rails and the floors) are not held
in by mechanical means, i.e. screws or bolts going through them. Apparently
the pressure of the body against the frame is sufficient. I would probably
glue these to the frame before refitting the body just to keep them from
moving around during reassembly.

>3) Reason for additional fastening should be greater stability of the
>usualy rattling body ?

Shouldn't be a problem. Solid TR3 bodies are incredibly strong when all
bolted together. It's the years of stress and corrosion that make them
rattle.
Likewise, cracking paint shouldn't be a problem on a freshly restored
and properly assembled body.
One caution, however. After you've reassembled the car and driven it for
a while, go back and tighten every nut and bolt you can find. You should
be alright after that.

Any comments from the group? Do I need to get out my nomex?

Rik

Rik Schlierer                 "Weekends don't count unless you
RGS03@HEALTH.STATE.NY.US         spend them doing something
NYS DEPT OF HEALTH, ALBANY NY  completely pointless" (Calvin)