Re: tr6 alignment

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tr6 alignment
From: DANIELS@LMSBVX.TAMU.EDU (Lee Daniels, daniels@tamu.edu)
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1995 9:14:23 -0500 (CDT)
ted barnes wrote:

> Subject: tr6 alignment

> left rear wheel camber neg 3 degree, right rear neg 1.9 degree

Every TR6 left the factory with negative camber in the rear, and I suspect
that any TR6 still having the original suspension parts will have doubled
that value.  (Some nice photos in Bill Piggot's "Original TR..." book show
this.)  If you autocross, this is a bonus for the stock class, since
everybody has to use stock camber, and yours is negative!  The down side is
that the rear springs are probably too soft.

The "right" fix for the rear is new or uprated springs.  The other fix is
the aluminum spacers that TRF sells (go between the spring and the spring
perch) that bring the rear camber closer to zero.

Doug Mitchell responded:
>It is also possible that the shop didn't do a very good job of
>adjusting the toe.

The rear toe on the TR6 is only adjustable by changing the number of
spacers between the frame the swing arm.  Did the shop actually do this?
The other problem in the rear is the well-known frame rot where the
swing arms attach to the frame.  Toe and camber adjustments are moot if
these attachment point are flexing or already rusted through.

OK, I've covered the rear.  Anybody want to tackle the front?

-Lee

Lee M. Daniels   Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding   Texas A&M
 daniels@tamu.edu            (409) 845-3726          Fax (409) 845-9351
 '74 TR6  '77 MGB