Re: Runaway engine in Spit 1

To: EMKolb@aol.com, "Triumphs list" <triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu>
Subject: Re: Runaway engine in Spit 1
From: "Scott St. Clair" <scott_st_clair@c-cube.com>
Date: 15 Sep 1995 17:25:59 U
        Reply to:   RE>Runaway engine in Spit 1500

The problem you describe is probably related to the automatic choke used on
most all british cars in the late seventies. The choke is designed to enrich
the mixture during starting, and then gradually return the mixture to normal
as the car warms. The choke is actuated by a spring, and is turned off
automatically by the warming coolant, which circulates through the choke and
expands a wax capsule. The expanding wax pushes against the spring, turning
off the choke.

The way the choke is supposed to work is this. When you first get in the car,
you are supposed to tap the throttle pedel once, which takes pressure off the
throttle positioning cam in the choke and allows the cam to advance to its
highest setting. With your foot off the throttle, you then crank the car and
it starts (presumably). When the car starts, manifold vacuum is applied to a
kind of piston and cylinder gizmo in the choke that partly disengages the
choke when you tap the throttle to remove pressure from the cam once more.
So, when you first start the car, it should rev to something like 2500 rpm,
and when you tap the pedel, it should drop to about 1500 rpm. Then, as the
car warms, the wax capsule expands, and gradually shuts the choke off. Since
this happens while you are driving, you probably won't notice.

As you can tell from the foregoing, this choke is not simple: there's a lot
to go wrong, and I haven't the foggiest idea what's wrong with yours.
However, you can take the cover off the choke and watch it in operation
(mostly). Then perhaps you can see what the problem is. The cover is the
thing that has the water hoses running in and out of it. You don't have to
remove the hoses, just remove the three screws that hold it on and pull the
cover out of the way.  Then play with the mechanism by flicking the throttle,
etc. Maybe one of the linkages is hanging up, vibrates and allows the
throttle positioning cam to advance after you start the car. May be the cover
is out of adjustment (it rotates to increase or decrease the amount of
choke). I don't know.

Good luck!

Scott St. Clair
'68 TR250