TR6 rear clonks revisited

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 rear clonks revisited
From: "Jeff Wagner" <JWAGNER@jmail.umd.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 18:02:43 EST
Several months ago I turned to the list with concerns about a knocking
noise from the rear of the TR6 whenever I was on the throttle, even
lightly.  As several people guessed, it turned out to be the dreaded
broken differential mount.

I had to crawl under the rear 3 times before I finally discovered
the crack in the right front mount.  After that it was pretty obvious
and I could hardly believe I hadn't seen it before.  It was split
laterally clear across the mount.  Not being much of a welder, I took
it to Mountjoy's LBC shop for welding and reinforcement, which set me back
around $250 (I forget the exact amount), and was done with everything
in place except the diff and rear axles.

It's much quieter now, and seems a lot more solid too.  Thanks to all
who shared your wisdom and experience (Scott St. Clair, I owe you a
beer for your most accurate analysis).

Now if I could just get the carbs set up right...

Jeff "grease spots on all his best clothes" Wagner
'72 TR6