Re: tweaking a 4 cyl TR engine

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, TR4guyinVA@aol.com
Subject: Re: tweaking a 4 cyl TR engine
From: "Kurt Oblinger" <Kurt_Oblinger_at_AWP450@mail.hq.faa.gov>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 95 17:38:01 EST
     How much power do you want and/or how much money do you have? Ken
     Gillanders at British Frame and Engine is probably the best source of
     info. He is the tech advisor for our club and I've talked with him at
     length many times. Sometimes its hard to get him to stop talking! He
     builds the demon race engines for all the hard core vintage race guys
     and does extensive R&D with cams, valves etc. His personal TR2 was a
     drag racer for many years and owned the class. He's got the photos and
     trophys to prove it. He works closely with Darryl Uprichard of
     Racestorations in the UK whose TR3 regularly trashes Jags and Astons.

     You should first determine what your requirements really are. There
     comes a point where gains in power equate to losses in driveability
     and reliability. Your biggest gains can probably be made by getting
     the engine to breath better, i.e. cam, valves, head porting, intake
     and exhaust manifolds.

     Remember, an engine is a system and bolting on one go-fast part
     probably won't realize you much gain.

     I'll also be interested to read how you proceed and what results you
     realize.

     Kurt Oblinger
     Redondo Beach, Ca.

     "When you can leave two black stripes from the exit point of one turn
     all the way to the braking point of the next turn, THEN you have
     enough horsepower!"
     Mark Donohue