Uni-syn for TR6 carbs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Uni-syn for TR6 carbs
From: trs@eagle.gsh.jhu.edu (Peter Barrance)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 18:31:43 -0500 (EDT)
Hello everyone:

Got another question for the group. TRF had the Unisyn carb air-flow
meter in stock when I placed my last order, so I decided to order one.
This weekend I had a little time to spend on the time so I pulled off the
air cleaner and tried to check the balance. What I found was that putting the
meter over either carb throat (stock Strombergs) when the car was idling
caused the motor to bog down, more so with the rear carb. The drop in rpm
was noticeable with it over the front carb. I tried different settings for the
air flow control for the Unisyn, but I couldn't get anything to lift the
float in the meter. The engine slowing effect was less noticeable with the air
flow control opened up, but still no way to see the float rise. Revving the
motor up (significantly) moved the float up the tube.

I should be able to use this thing to set the idle balance, shouldn't I? If
the presence of the meter has a significant effect on the airflow, I'm not
going to be able to use it to improve the balance.

Anyone know what I'm missing here? I admit to not having spent time trying to
experiment with modifying the meter or anything.

By the way, I have a Unisyn model A. Do these come in different sizes for diff
erent carb sizes. I have the 175 Strombergs.

Cheers,

Pete