Spitfire differential

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire differential
From: Robert and Sarah Clark <clarks@Rt66.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 95 14:56:01 MDT
Anyone out there have any experience with installing a differential in a
Spitfire?  I have a 1979 in which I am attempting to replace the
differential.  I got the old one out, with not too much difficulty.  It did
hang up a bit on the rear mounting, but came free with a little persuasion.
The problem is getting the new one in.  The Haynes manual says to first
attach the rear mounting.  THAT is the problem.  How do I get the darn thing
all the way up so that the holes line up???  I have the car up on jack
stands.  I put the diff on a hydraulic jack
and raise it up into position.  I get the back end close to where it should
go.  I raise it up further and it just stops going.  If I continue to jack
it up, the car lifts off the jack stands.  It seems to be hanging up in the
bracket somehow, but I can't figure out how.  The rear spring is not causing
the problem, it is still loose when the diff has stopped moving.  Is there
some trick to this operation?  Or does one just keep trying, cursing, trying
again, cursing again etc etc?  Would a real big sledge hammer help???
Thanks for any expert advice out there.

Bob Clark
clarks@rt66.com