Re: Triumph colour codes

To: MR PATRICK J MCMULLEN <VDPY33A@prodigy.com>
Subject: Re: Triumph colour codes
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 1995 10:21:51 -0900 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Wed, 6 Sep 1995, MR PATRICK J MCMULLEN wrote:

> I have a color chart from 1965.  It is a Dupont chart and has 5
> listings for Standard Triumph for that year.
>
> ...32 Signal Red...26 Wedgewood Blue...25 Racing Green...
> 19 White...56 Royal Blue....

There's a memory jogger. As a high school student in the summer of 1968,
I and a friend got the brilliant idea of repainting my father's Herald
1200 Convertible, a 1964 built just before Triumph started putting paint
and trim codes on the Commission number plate.

We went to the local DuPont supplier, who informed us that Dupont didn't
show the yellow we sought to match the original color. (My bet is they
had the same reference you have, Pat.) To make a long story short, we
decided upon (and talked Dad into) the rather bright but attractive
green used on MGBs, circa 1963.

Years later, I came into posession of a Sherwin-Williams [?, not sure,
it's been misplaced in my personal archives :-( ] paint chip/formula
sheet covering 1957-65. This showed ALL the colors used in that period,
including such fashionable hues as Wisteria, Coffee -- my favorite
(Yeah, we all KNOW that already, Andy, so lay off, huh?), even
the dreaded Alpine Mauve. I also obtained a 1959-61 DuPont color chip
chart, which did seem to cover most of Triumph's colors during that
period.

All of this led me then and still leads me now to wonder why I
couldn't get Jasmine Yellow (or was it Primrose) from DuPont in 1968,
for my 1964 Herald? For that matter, why doesn't Pat's DuPont chart show
black as an available color?

Ah, well....

Andrew Mace
10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant
Vintage Triumph Register
amace@unix2.nysed.gov

p.s. The Herald came out quite nicely, having been done by a 15-year-old
with no experience (me) and a 16-year-old whose dad was able to save us
innumerable times from disaster. I won't even begin to describe some of
the bodywork we did, though!