TR6 Thrust Bearings

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Thrust Bearings
From: ssutton@ban.CHINALAKE.NAVY.MIL
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 95 18:42:24 PDT
I am in the process of a complete frame-off restoration of my '74 1/2 TR-6
and need some assistance regarding the crankshaft thrust washers. With
standard size thrust washers installed I have .011" of end-play which is out-
of-spec.  If I install .005" oversize thrust washers you end up with .001" of
end-play which is to tight.  So the solution, it would seem, would be to
install one standard size and one .005" oversize thrust washer, which will
give .006" of end-play (.006 - .008 is the spec acording to Bentley).

My question is is this allowable (neither Bentley or Haynes discuss this),
and if so, does it matter which side I install the .005" oversize thrust
washer (there are two, one on either side of the main bearing journal)?

My second question is regarding which way the oil groves in the thrust
washers face.  According to Bentley "Ensure that the thrust washers are
installed the correct way i.e. the oil grooves bearing against the crankshaft
journal sides."  I would assume that this would mean that the oil grooves
would be towards the bearing caps, however a photograph in the Haynes manual
shows the inner thrust washer being installed with the oil groove next to the
crankshaft web, away from the bearing cap.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Steve Sutton
'74 TR-6
Ridgecrest, CA