More Spitfire Woes

To: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Subject: More Spitfire Woes
From: paisley@boulder.nist.gov (Scott W. Paisley)
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 1995 10:37:43 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Larry E. Snyder writes:

 > it back on - then did a compression check:

 > 150 - 150 - 60 - 150.

 > rings on it and put it back in. With that kind of compression on the other
 > cylinders, I don't believe a rebuild is in order here at all.
 > Right?

What's your *hot* oil pressure at idle look like?  If it's ok, but
perhaps a little low, I would suggest replacing the big-end connecting
rod bearings while you have the sump off.  I'd also go for the mains,
if you can get to all of them (not sure on a spit), and perhaps the
oil pump *if* the pressure is low.  If not, leave the pump alone!

At a minimum, replace the rings on #3, and the big-end bearings.  Just
my .02 worth.

-Scotty