Re: TR6 Turn Indicator

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Turn Indicator
From: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 95 9:35:12 EDT
Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.85]
BobK wrote:

> turn indicator on my '76 Six stopped flashing
> I assumed that it was just a blown bulb ...
> changed the bulb to no effect
> Perhaps a grounding problem somewhere.  Ohhh Noooo.

I think you've got it!  Check for continuity between
the lamp socket (the round sleeve where the bulb goes)
and the snap connectors (the star looking things) which
hold the socket assembly into the car body.  This SHOULD
make connection -- that's the ground route for the
infamous "Lucas smoke" which makes the bulb glow.

I suspect you'll find what looks like good mechanical
connection but one which an ohm meter says is an open!

Won't work 'til you fix it!  You can buy new sockets
which is probably the "proper" fix.  Or you can patch
it together which is what I did.  Peel and pry it apart
and you'll see the metal parts which touch and are supposed
to conduct.  I scraped things clean, applied a generous
touch of solder between the metal parts and put it all
back together.  It may fail today, but so far...

Joe Flake
'72 TR6
flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com