Re: Bump start with a CC?

To: tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Bump start with a CC?
From: RPonik@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 22:52:55 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Sharon

On March 20 you wrote:

>In the manual they recommend NOT bump starting a vehicle with a >catalytic
converter, even though it has a manual transmission.
>Now why is that?

I SUSPECT the reasoning is to preclude the possibility of a catalytic
converter fire.  When bump starting, the ignition and fuel pump is on.  If the
 engine does not fire up right away, there is the possibility of raw fuel
being pumped through the cylinders and out the exhaust manifold into the
converter.  If fuel is pooled there and the engine finally lights up, or the
converter was already hot - the converter may burn up.  This was a not
uncommon happening in the early to mid seventies.  I had a boss burn up his
converter (and carpeting) as a result of bump starting.