Re: 4 cyl headers.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 4 cyl headers.
From: TR4guyinVA@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 23:30:41 -0500
Thanks for sharing the info you found TeriAnn

I recently went on a similar (although not as exhaustive---oh-- bad
unintentional pun) header search.  I wasn't really too keen on spending $400
for the SS headers offered by Moss or TRF.

I found a local club member who had an old header off an old TR-3 race car.
 It also isn't a true header in that the four pipes aren't of equal length,
which would require quite a twisting around for all of the pipes to connect
together in the same spot.  Rather it looks very similar to the picture of
the SS header offered in the back of the Moss catalog.

There are two branches to it.  They connect at a Y pipe somewhere under the
starter.  Then each branch splits again up under the intake manifold.  One
branch goes to cyls 1 and 4.  The other goes to 2 and 3.  I figured these
cylinders fire exactly out of phase (didn't check, just guessed) and so
probably don't compete much for exhaust space in the manifold/header.

As a side note, I thought it would be neat to have completly separate exhaust
systems (two mini headers, and pipes and mufflers) that branched from cyls 1
and 2 and the other branch from 3 and 4 respectively.  Then a exhuast sniffer
placed in either tail pipe could let you know how each carb was doing.  Don't
know how the exhaust note or efficiency of such a system would turn out like
though.  I suppose this is more possible with TR-6's, 3 cyls to each branch
of the system.

Did anybody check out the article in British Car Magazine about wrapping
headers with an sort of insulation?  Quite interesting.  I

 also have a TR-4A manifold.  It uses separate branches for the cyls like the
header does.  I bet it is just as efficient, and would definitely fit much
better.  If I have lots of trouble fitting the header, I might just end up
using that route.

Good hearing from you TeriAnn.  Keep up the good work and keep us updated.

Scott Tilton
In Richmond Virginia
With TR-4 brake fluid all over the place.