Re: Vitesse

To: Lennart Broekhof <Lennart.Broekhof@Holland.Sun.COM>
Subject: Re: Vitesse
From: Andy Mace <AMACE@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 11:46:49 PST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

On Wed, 8 Mar 1995, Lennart Broekhof wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if there is, original, a tonneau cover
> (how do you spell that ?) available for the Herald/Vitesse
> convertible.

I can't say for sure if a tonneau cover was an "official" option for the
Vitesse (I assume it was), but it definitely was for the Herald. The
"kit" included snap plates that screwed down to the dashboard at the base
of the windscreen, using existing screw locations. Strangely, the cover
did not feature snaps on the door; other than the above, it fastened down
only to the same snaps used for the boot cover. Of course, there is no
reason why snaps along the door tops could not be added, and they would
improve the usefulness of the tonneau cover immensely.

I'd have to check to see if someone such as Kippings (UK) lists a
tonneau. I doubt the dashboard snaps are still available, but they'd be
easy to fabricate.

> And could someone tell me what the prices are in th US for a
> Vitesse MK II Convertible in good condition ?

Technically, there was no Mk.II available in the U.S. We got, from
1962-64, the original 1600cc. Vitesse, badged as the Sports 6. Some later
ones might have come in through, say, Canada. Prices seem to range from
about $2500 U.S. (Sharon, are you on this list? Can you elaborate on the
one you posted about several weeks ago?) to as much as $4000-$5000.
(Whether they actually sell at those upper figures, I don't know.)

> I've had several Triumph's and i want to buy one again within
> 4 months.
> Here in the Netherlands it isn't easy to find a Vitesse with
> hard coach-work.

Here in the Northeastern U.S. (rust belt), it's even harder! Sigh....

> Thanks,
>
> Rgds
>
> Lennart
>
> (Are there Triumph 2500 PI/TC's in the states ?)

Not officially, no. Triumph sadly chose to focus on the sports car line
after safety and emissions standards started to take effect with the 1968
model year.

Andrew Mace, Herald/Vitesse Consultant
Vintage Triumph Register