Re: Brake Lights 69 Spitfire

To: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake Lights 69 Spitfire
From: LESNYD@ccmail.monsanto.com
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 95 10:11:52 cst
Subject: Brake Lights 69 Spitfire
From:    "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com> at CCGTWINT
Date:    3/1/95  8:36 AM

>I'm working on the '69 Spit I sold to my girlfriend... it would pass
>inspection except that the brake lights don't.

I'm answering these questions based on my 69 GT6, which has very much the
same electrical stuff as the Spitfire...

>1) Is there a fuse box, if so, where? Is it relevant to brake lights?
>2) Where's the switch for the brake lights?

Fuse box is on the firewall in the engine bay, LH side. There are three fuses
in it. The top one has most stuff of importance on it, like brake lights,
turn signals, etc. If the turn signals work, it's probably not the fuse.
When you hunt for the fuse box, remember that it's got a little square plastic
cover that you just pull off.

>I just find it hard to believe both sides burned out the brake light
>filaments at the same time.  Is there a common ground?

I believe ground is via a wire, and not from the light being grounded to
the body.

The taillights on a MKIII Spit are VERY prone to dirt and corrosion. They
act up all the time on my GT6. Get some cleaner (actually, WD-40 does a good
job) and give the contacts a good cleaning. But since both yours are acting
up, I suspect the switch on the brake pedal itself.