Re: Brake Lights 69 Spitfire

To: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Subject: Re: Brake Lights 69 Spitfire
From: Andy Mace <AMACE@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 09:38:39 PST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

On Wed, 1 Mar 1995, John M. Trindle wrote:

> I'm working on the '69 Spit I sold to my girlfriend... it would pass
> inspection except that the brake lights don't.
>
> 1) Is there a fuse box, if so, where? Is it relevant to brake lights?

On the firewall -- three fuses (and two spares). Don't remember off hand
if brake light circuit is fused.

> 2) Where's the switch for the brake lights?

It's on the pedal. These do fail occasionally. You might just quickly
jump the switch to see if you've got lights.

> Everything else electrical seems to be OK (for a 26 year old car, of course)
> (Tail lights, turn signal, etc).
>
> I just find it hard to believe both sides burned out the brake light
> filaments at the same time.  Is there a common ground?

Again, I think so, but I'm not sure without looking at a car or a wiring
diagram. The taillamp units on the early Spitfires are rather prone to
corrosion on the bulb contacts, etc. Try a little bit of emery
paper/whatever on bulb, socket and contacts; see if that helps.

I do remember this being a frequent battle on my 1969 Mk.3 way back when
-- keeping the rear lamps working!

Andy Mace