[Tigers] 15" wheels?

To: Tiger List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] 15" wheels?
From: Jay via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 09:06:09 -0800
As Iâ??m sure many know, 13â?? tires are getting harder and harder to come by.
In fact, the specific 13â?? tires that I prefer for my Alpine with wire wheels
is absolutely no longer available except from Coker at $250 a tire or racing
Dunlops at $320 a tire.  Before I decide to spend $1,250 on tires for my
Alpine, Iâ??m thinking of alternatives.

(1) Buy racing Dunlop tires - why the heck not?
(2) Get MGB 14â?? wire wheels, which opens up tire selection a little bit.
(3) Get TR3 or TR4 15â?? wire wheels, which opens up the tire selection a lot.

The Tiger/Alpine was designed for 14â?? wheels.  So those looks great.  But
Iâ??m worried that 15â?? wire wheels will look silly.  Anyone have pictures of
Tigers with 15â??, and can indicate what tires are on them?  I know itâ??s a
totally different look with a mag wheel.  But I want to get a sense of how low
profile the tires would be.  Iâ??m hoping to keep the overall diameter at
23-24â??.

In case anyone cares, the MGB wire wheel hub does not match the Alpine one.
The TR hub does match.  The MGB hub is the same all around, except in the
length.  So instead of getting 6 rotations of the knock off (for 6 threads) to
tighten on the wheel, an MGB wheel on an Alpine gets 4 rotations of the knock
off, for 4 threads.  There are a number of Alpine owners running this way and
say they have never had a problem.  Iâ??m not confident in that as a legitimate
conclusion to rely on.