Re: [Tigers] flywheel surprise

To: "Bob Dixon" <bobdixon@frii.com>, <owain.lloyd@gmail.com>, "Tiger's
Subject: Re: [Tigers] flywheel surprise
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 15:16:09 -0600
The engine designation change from 302 cubic inches to 5.0 litres was
made at the same time (1979 model year) as the firing order and engine
balance changes. So when you're building or rebuilding an engine, you
have to make sure that you get all your rotating components for the same
era engine. You could hypothetically switch camshafts between the
different eras, so long as you change the ignition firing order to suit,
because that's not related to the engine balance.

Owain, I don't know that there is any way to identify the crank just
based on what's visible when you have the flywheel off, but it sounds
like it would be a good idea to pull the pan and visually inspect the
crank. If you're in there anyway, you could install a windage tray and
reduce your parasitic horsepower losses a little as well...

Theo