Re: Panard Rod?? To be or Not to be??

To: tigert@ktc.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Panard Rod?? To be or Not to be??
From: Carmods@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 09:38:23 EST
Tim,

In answer to your question, a Panhard Rod improves handling by controlling
lateral movement of the solid axle in a high "G" turn and by defining the
roll center of the rear suspension.  However, it works best when it is
installed correctly. The stock
Mk I Panhard Rod runs at a large angle to the ground, from below the wheel
centerline of the axle on the left side to high on the body on the right
side. That is not good. The Mk II Panhard Rod runs in the opposite direction
which was an improvement over the Mk I but It also runs at a large angle.

The Panhard Rod should be attached to axle on the right side and to the body
on the left. Under normal vehicle loading, it should run parallel to the
ground somewhere near the centerline of the axle. The optimum height is
determined by suspension tuning.

                                                                   John Logan