Re: Go Silicone!

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Go Silicone!
From: Robert Dobrowski <rsdslp@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 17:51:01 -0800
You are way off base on your comment about Boeing. Boeing doesn't use
silicone fluid in the braking system simply because the braking system is
tied in with the entire aircraft hydraulic system which on commercial
transports uses Phosphate Ester hydraulic fluid. Silicone fluids are not
cost effective when trying to fill the hydraulic system of an airplane.
Furhtermore, the airlines would not agree to the expense of changing over
to silicone fluids unless their was very large sums of money to save.
Just remember, anyone can publish on the web regardless of
qualifications.

On Sun, 3 Dec 2000 20:09:10 -0600 "Ray McCrary" <spook01@home.com>
writes:
> Ref silicone brake fluid:
> I noticed that someone had posted a study on why GM doesn't use
> silicone in
> its ABS SYSTEMS......well, I don't use the darn stuff in my Tigers'
> ABS,
> either.
> AND there is a VERY interesting article on the web that discusses
> why Boeing
> doesn't use it in aircraft braking systems, either.  By George! If I
> ever
> put aircraft brakes on MY car, I darn sure will NEVER use that
> silicone
> stuff.  I bet the B-2 doesn't use it either!
> On the other hand, the above is unlikely since my cars (plural,
> multi-make)
> have had silicone in their stock braking systems for YEARS without a
> problem; I guess I can give up worrying about it!!
> Best,
> Ray McCrary
> "Speed is Life;
> of course Luck and Altitude