Re: Good News, Bad news

To: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: Good News, Bad news
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 23:01:30 -0500
At 01:59 PM 2/22/99 -0500, you wrote:

>     O.K., so I finally got my backwards thread wheel studs out of my RF
>     hub this weekend.  They came out relatively easy, using just an
>     antique acme thread C-clamp.  So much for the good news.  Time for the
>     bad:
>
>     These backwards studs were non the same brand, so the PO had to open
>     up the holes in the hub just a few thousandths.  The proper studs now
>     can wiggle around a bit in the holes.
>
>     I'm thinking of using some 0.002" shim stock to fill up the gap,
>     restoring the press fit.
>
>     Does this sound like a reasonable solution?
>
>     Stu
           No it does not.  If your wheel doesn't wobble then you will find
that either you can not tighten the lug nut because the stud slips or if the
shim holds long enough to allow you to tighten the lug nut, the lug will
slip when you try to loosen the nut later.  Go down to the parts store
and examine a selection of Doreman brand lug bolts.  Or go to NAPA and
examine their selection.  Find some studs that will press fit correctly.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others