Re: Calibrating water temp gauges

To: BlueGolfer@aol.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Calibrating water temp gauges
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 11:42:20 -0800
Rob,

My all stock temperature-gauge/ voltage-regulator has  been remarkably
accurate. I measured the resistance of the sending unit and it's exactly
700 ohms at room temperature. I'll measure it again when it's hot and let
you know this too. My guess is the sending unit is your problem, but you
may need to go through a logical process of elimination to find the real
culprit.

Good luck,

Bob

At 01:32 PM 2/18/99 -0500, BlueGolfer@aol.com wrote:
>I suspect my original Smiths water temperature gauge is not accurate.  It
>slowly works it way up to 250+ and pegs out.  The water temp. (75% antifreeze)
>does not appear to be boiling.  The needle motion is jerky.  I tried grounding
>the sender line and the gauge pegged out.  It took about 30 seconds to do so,
>and did it in a series of jerky motions.  Now, I'm trying an experiment.  I
>rigged up a mechanical gauge to the line next to the electrical sending unit.
>I'm going to run the motor and compare the two temperatures.  If the
>electrical gauge is off, is there a way to recalibrate it?
>
>Rob Kempinski
>Melbourne Fl

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com