RE: Calibrating water temp gauges

To: "'BlueGolfer@aol.com'" <BlueGolfer@aol.com>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Calibrating water temp gauges
From: Theo Smit <TSmit@novatel.ca>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 11:48:22 -0700
Sounds like your instrument voltage regulator is toast. If it starts putting out
full voltage (about 14 or so) instead of 10 volts, your temp (and gas)
indication will simultaneously rise by about 40%. Watch your fuel gauge when you
see the temp gauge doing funny stuff; if both move, then it's the regulator, not
the gauge.

I have a schematic drawing of a circuit that uses an adjustable linear regulator
IC. The whole thing easily fits into the original can, and it's been working for
me for the last couple of months of driving the Tiger. Since it's electronic,
it's not as bulletproof as a mechanical regulator, but it is cheap and reliable.
If enough people are interested I will make up a GIF file (my previous attempts
have been foiled  by my artwork software package) and post it somewhere on the
net.

Theo Smit
tsmit@novatel.ca
B382002705