Re: Hardtop to body woes

To: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Hardtop to body woes
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 18:53:30 +0100
Roland Dudley wrote:

> > Richard Atherton (Entex) wrote:
> > >
> > >         I've never tried this, but it seems to me that if you could
> > > apply some teflon tape to the rubber seal, it "may" help to prevent what
> > > you are seeing.  The tape is soft enough to still conform to the curves
> > > so it wouldn't leak.  Might be worth at least thinking about...
> > >
> > > Rich
> >

> > Rich,
> >
> > That's a great idea. Do you know of a good adhesive that will stick the
> > teflon tape to the rubber seal?
> >
> > {8->
> >
> > Steve

> However, if I were going to use the top and wanted to protect the paint
> with tape, I'd put the tape on the body, not the rubber seal.  The
> problem is caused by chaffing due to vibration.  I'd rather chafe the
> tape than my paint.
>
> Roland

Roland,

OK, what adhesive do I use to stick the teflon tape to the paint? {8->

BTW: I think the newer Tiger hardtop seal design, with the continuous
foam rubber really is much better. The wear is caused by the relative
movement of the top and body, which drags the original flat rubber
design back and forth across the paint. Had the same problem on my '54
Jag with a after-market fiberglass top. It seems that the top movement
is absorbed by distorting the thicker foam seal, and the seal-to-paint
interface doesn't move, avoiding paint wear.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                         _/
                    _/_/_/