Re[4]: New Thread (was REALLY, REALLY SMALL...)

To: a-richat@microsoft.com, tigers@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re[4]: New Thread (was REALLY, REALLY SMALL...)
From: LeBrun@hii.hitachi.com
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 96 11:36:31 PST
     Frank;

     -Even with the steel forged rods & crank I personally wouldn't turn a
     289 past 7K. Don't remember the exact specs of the "K" motors right
     now.Personally, I feel consistent excursions past that RPM without
     4-bolt mains on the center caps is risky.

     I worked quite a few years as an automotive machinist at an engine
     rebuilders & had plenty of samples of over-stretched rods and busted
     cranks on our "wall of shame". Any engine that's "over-square" (like
     the 289 with it's stock 4.00" bore & 2.87" stroke) has some inherent
     defects from a strictly-Physics standpoint to overcome.Can't remember
     it in detail now,but I fuzzily recall it had to do with stroke, piston
     & rod weight, crank strength, acceleration and de-acceleration of the
     whole assembly etc., vs. any given HP & torque output you get at a
     specific RPM.

     Not necessarily better, but the small-block Chevy has good offerings
     with stroke measurements coming even to the bore. AKA the 4-bolt 350's
     that came with the steel rods & cranks and the 2.02" "double-bump"
     heads were put into plenty of family wagons. One of these with a
     better set of rod bolts, shot-peened, balanced, hi-po cam, etc. can be
     put together for not much extra cash, including the screw-in studs &
     guide-plates for the heads. Then just add a good quality rebuild &
     valve job, & voila!!

     Hey, don't get me wrong, I LOVE our TIGER and the 289.

                                    Phil