RE: Distributor Choice

To: "'Bud Pazur'" <bpazur@excel.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Distributor Choice
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 14:22:01 -0500
Yeah, but on your Bugeye, what did you do? You built a 948. Other guys just
say f it,and use that as an excuse to go 1275.

There are plenty of 948s out there. They're out there, with folks willing to
give them away.

Also, I've never had a crank that failed magnafluxing. Where did those come
from...Matt?

I've never broken a crank or have a rod failure in a 948 race motor. I've
never had a billet crank, or Carillo rods. I've always used a strapped
center main. I've always made sure the cranks were ground correctly, and
plastigauged them when they went together.

I did have one crank (all mine are nitrided) have the restrictors back out
and score a bearing (after 5 hard seasons). I've had pistons start to melt
down, most likely due to lean or timing issue,  but the bottom end has been
fine. I've had a scored cylinder wall when the motor ate something on the
track. My last race motor in Redrum had a spiral lock walk out on the
Venolia piston, and bugger up the piston & score the wall. (I'd pulled it
apart to inspect the bearings after 4 years).

You have to accept that some guys just want to go faster, and use a bunch of
excuses to run the faster 1275 motor. I'm sure some will wisely seek out a
square body so they're not illegal, and can run a 1275 all day without any
sanctions or class bumping.

Is a 1275 nearly stock motor cheaper than a race 948? Sure... but as soon as
you get into a race head, anything other than stock pistons,  the costs of a
race 948 and a race 1275 are pretty close to equal.