Distributor Choice Part 4

To: "Ron Soave (Ron Soave)" <rsoave@invensysibs.com>,
Subject: Distributor Choice Part 4
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 12:30:23 -0500
 Ron refers to 1098 engine parts. We can legally use 1098 rods (or
Carillos). Under the 5 year update rule, my interpretation is you can use a
1098 head... but 2 out of 3 race heads I have are based on legal GCR spec
early head castings, (with the appropriate legal valve sizes). When I first
bought the dearly departed Red Rat Bastard, my first attempt at a rebuild
discovered a stroker motor.. a 1098 3.3 stroke crank fitted to a 948 block
(3.0 stroke). I've kept the bits of that motor on the shelf, and one day,
hope to build a rallye motor for events like the Targa Newfoundland, etc. If
you are familiar with my driving on the race track, you'd know I regularly
spin my motors to 8000 rpm +, and a 1098 crank will never live long at
anything near 7000 rpm. But for a long term run, like the Targa, or
something similar, it would be fine.

I am not like the usual vintage racer, in that I don't have 1 race car...
but in fact, have 6. Yes... 6. 2 of them, very early unmolested race cars,
(the recently purchased 19k mile white car, and the Bishop) comply with both
the GCR and FIA spec. Redrum, my regular car, complies with VSCDA's GCR
spec. I have a period glass Targa style nose, and the original steel bugeye
nose. I am prepared to run the original nose if that becomes an area of
compliance. That car is well over weight. Red Arse, and the under
construction Ashley GT will be prepared to FIA spec. FrankenSprite is up for
grabs, but most likely will be prepared to best take advantage of the rules
in place in 2008.

We actually have guys running 1275's, and still claiming they're running
948's.

I don't have any secrets. I don't need any secrets. I'd much rather kick
anyone's a*s with a legal car.

If VSCDA wants to make all of this stick, they have to have teeth in their
rules, apply them fairly, or the net result will be a tempest in a teapot,
and a bunch of pissed of racers. I implore them to gather the data collected
so far from numerous conference calls, phone calls, letter, and research,
and make decisions regarding the interpretation of the rules sooner rather
than later.

WST

Flounder

Team Thicko