Re: Help needed now - Brake light switch

To: Bud Osbourne <abcoz@hky.com>
Subject: Re: Help needed now - Brake light switch
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 20:48:44 -0500
Cc: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
On Feb 25, 2006, at 3:20 PM, Bud Osbourne wrote:

> OOPS!!  Belay the disassembly!  I just remembered that I never even
> had to
> take the Lucas switch apart.  I just kept loading it up with Gibbs
> Penetrant, until it was freed-up, and the corrosion dissolved
> (internal AND
> external).  It was that simple.  It was the CHINK switch that I
> took apart,
> to check it out.  As I remember, the Chinks apparently decided to save
> production costs by not employing any solder.  It was the lousy
> compression
> connections which were causing the trouble.  You can fix them, but,
> then
> you've STILL got a POS Chink switch, that's just gonna find yet
> ANOTHER way
> to fail.  So, spend your time and effort on the old Lucas stuff.
> It's far,
> far better quality than anything the Chinks are ever gonna dump on us,
> through Moss or VB.

Bud,

Larry was looking for a switch to install in the car immediately, he
was 90 miles away from me and had broken the switch while removing
it.    I wasn't in a position to help him repair the switch or give
him the spare I have on the shelf ;(

I have successfully rebuilt several Lucas stop light switches by
taking them apart, repairing and then crimping them back together.
(It can be done ;)

I'd rather repair the original Lucas parts than buy the "new" (made
in India) Lucas green boxed stuff ;)

Kevin