Re: Help needed now - Brake light switch

To: Bud Osbourne <abcoz@hky.com>
Subject: Re: Help needed now - Brake light switch
From: "K. Valentine" <kevin@valentinephoto.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 20:48:44 -0500
Cc: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
On Feb 25, 2006, at 3:20 PM, Bud Osbourne wrote:

OOPS!! Belay the disassembly! I just remembered that I never even had to
take the Lucas switch apart. I just kept loading it up with Gibbs
Penetrant, until it was freed-up, and the corrosion dissolved (internal AND
external). It was that simple. It was the CHINK switch that I took apart,
to check it out. As I remember, the Chinks apparently decided to save
production costs by not employing any solder. It was the lousy compression
connections which were causing the trouble. You can fix them, but, then
you've STILL got a POS Chink switch, that's just gonna find yet ANOTHER way
to fail. So, spend your time and effort on the old Lucas stuff. It's far,
far better quality than anything the Chinks are ever gonna dump on us,
through Moss or VB.
Bud,

Larry was looking for a switch to install in the car immediately, he was 90 miles away from me and had broken the switch while removing it. I wasn't in a position to help him repair the switch or give him the spare I have on the shelf ;(

I have successfully rebuilt several Lucas stop light switches by taking them apart, repairing and then crimping them back together. (It can be done ;)

I'd rather repair the original Lucas parts than buy the "new" (made in India) Lucas green boxed stuff ;)

Kevin

Your messages not reaching the list?
Check out http://www.team.net/posting.html

=== Help keep Team.Net on the air